Raspberry ketones are natural phenolic compounds that produce the smell of raspberries. In fact, according to recent research, they can support weight loss processes by producing adiponectin. This is a protein hormone that regulates a series of metabolic processes, including the glucose regulation and fatty acid catabolism.
What are raspberry ketones?
They are an aromatic compound, but most of it is produced in laboratories due to its high cost and low supply. It is naturally present in raspberries and other berries. Nevertheless, if we take high doses, it will help to regulate the metabolism and stimulate the fat burning processes.
You can purchase this product at parapharmacies, herbalist’s shops or specialized stores like HSN. Although it can be obtained naturally from the fruits of berries, we would need a lot of them.
What are the effects of raspberry ketones?
To begin with, having higher levels of adiponectin help to control some of the metabolic alterations. These can trigger type 2 diabetes, obesity, arteriosclerosis, fatty liver disease and metabolic syndrome.
Raspberry ketones trigger the release of norepinephrine (a stress hormones). Consequently, norepinephrine produces a thermogenic effect. In turn, this trigger the release of glucose from the energy reserves and increases the breakdown of triglycerides into free fatty acids. Once this process is complete, lipase comes into play and breaks down the fat so that it can be digested. Raspberry ketones suppress the appetite and increase the body temperature, increasing the basal metabolism.
Raspberry ketones to lose weight
Due to the effect of raspberry ketones on free fatty acids, the best thing to do is eating low glycemic carbohydrates carbohydrates. Moreover, you can increase the intake of protein and include moderate amounts of healthy fats from fish oil, virgin olive oil or macadamia nut oil. Make sure you keep the calorie intake under your metabolic needs.
Benefits of raspberry ketones
Now, let’s mention some of the benefits of this product. For example:
- Supporting weight loss diets
- Reducing the appetite
- Stimulating the metabolism
- Producing a thermogenic effect that support the fat burning processes
- Improving the elasticity of the skin
- Several studies also relate its topical use with hair growth
- Providing antioxidants
How to take raspberry ketones
That is why there are synthetic supplements created in laboratories that lower the price and make supplementation accessible.
Contraindications and side effects of raspberry ketones
There is little knowledge about the possible side effects of raspberry ketones. Nevertheless, there have been some cases involving a feeling of nervousness. Moreover, it can lower the blood sugar levels as well.
To sum up, raspberry ketones are regarded as safe for almost anyone who wants to experience its potential benefits for weight loss. All in all, this is due to its natural origin and due to its few side effects.
- Mohamed HE, Abo-ELmatty DM, Mesbah NM, Saleh SM, Ali AA, Sakr AT. Raspberry ketone preserved cholinergic activity and antioxidant defense in obesity induced Alzheimer disease in rats. Biomed Pharmacother. 2018 Nov;107:1166-1174. doi: 10.1016/j.biopha.2018.08.034. Epub 2018 Aug 28.
- Xiong SL, Yue LM, Lim GT, Yang JM, Lee J, Park YD. Inhibitory effect of raspberry ketone on α-glucosidase: Docking simulation integrating inhibition kinetics. Int J Biol Macromol. 2018 Jul 1;113:212-218. doi: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2018.02.124. Epub 2018 Mar 29.
- Leu SY, Tsai YC, Chen WC, Hsu CH, Lee YM, Cheng PY. Raspberry ketone induces brown-like adipocyte formation through suppression of autophagy in adipocytes and adipose tissue. J Nutr Biochem. 2018 Jun;56:116-125. doi: 10.1016/j.jnutbio.2018.01.017. Epub 2018 Feb 13.
- Green coffee extract, an ally for weight loss?
- Top 10 supplements to lose weight
- Tricks to lose weight after turning 50