- 1 What is rice protein?
- 2 Benefits of rice protein
- 3 Rice protein, a complete source of amino acids
- 4 It is allergen-free
- 5 Rice protein improves the sport performance
- 6 Rice protein helps with weight loss and slimming diets
- 7 Who can benefit from rice protein?
- 8 Does it have any side effects?
- 9 The interactions and combinations of rice protein
- 10 Recommended dose
- 11 Why should you take rice protein?
Rice protein is an excellent supply of high quality amino acids. This rich vegetable protein source stimulates all of the bodily functions of the organism and contributes to maintaining a strong and healthy body thanks to its high amino acid content.
It is also known as rice protein powder or whole rice protein, even though it is mostly called rice protein.
It is a highly nutritious protein low in calories, which is ideal for fitness diets. It is specially aimed at people who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet and who are looking for a vegetable source of proteins.
People who have a lactose or gluten intolerance can consume a rice protein, since it is free from all kinds of allergens.
It is also aimed at athletes who need a high-quality amino acids in order to increase and maintain the muscle mass. It also helps to lose weight when combined with a balanced diet.
What is rice protein?
It is one of the most popular nutritional supplements due to their protein content for those who follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, since it is 100% free of ingredients of animal origin. It is also essential to enhance the sport performance and it is an essential support for weight loss diets.
Rice protein results from applying enzymatic methods to whole rice in order to obtain its amino acids only. The finished product is a rice powder rich in essential amino acids that can be used as a food supplement to increase the intake of proteins for the organism.
It is a valuable source of amino acids with a nutritional profile that helps with all the functions of organism and provides energy. Rice has a very good digestibility and it is free from allergens, so this protein is specially useful for those who suffer from an intolerance to dairy products, egg, soy, or gluten.
Benefits of rice protein
- It is an allergen-free source of amino acids
- It is the perfect food for vegetarians and vegans
- It provides the body with high quality proteins
- It is an excellent support for weight loss diets
- It helps to enhance the sport performance
Rice protein, a complete source of amino acids
It is a quite complete protein of vegetable origin. It has all the essential amino acids that the body needs function properly. These cannot be produced by the body and they must be obtained from the diet. Learn more about the best sources of vegetable proteins here.
Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins which can be used by the body to produce proteins, but they can also be broken down in the liver to produce energy.
Rice protein powder is complete due to its excellent aminogram that provides all the essential amino acids to the organism.
It is particularly rich in amino acids containing sulfur, such as methionine and cysteine, which are crucial for the metabolism and the immune system.
However, it is low in lysine, which is why it would be advisable to combine it with pea or hemp protein to obtain a more complete protein supply.
It is allergen-free
One of the main benefits is that it has no allergens*, which is the reason why it is the perfect alternative to other amino acid sources, such as milk, eggs, or soy.
Some people can experience allergic reactions such as nausea, abdominal pain, facial swelling, skin irritation, hives and acne when they consume whey (lactose), casein, and gluten.
It is allergen free and, therefore, an excellent alternative for those who suffer allergies or intolerance. By using rice powder protein, you can fully satisfy the body’s protein requirements without having to worry about the side effects of other protein sources.
* It is free from any allergen in its pure state. However, during the harvesting process, transportation, milling, storage, processing and/or manufacturing of the products, they can be contaminated with allergens (or their remains). Therefore, if you have an intolerance to some of the foods that have been mentioned, you should make sure that the product clearly specifies that it does not contain the type of allergen that you want to avoid when you buy rice protein.
Rice protein improves the sport performance
Physical exercise deteriorates the muscles, so much so that the muscle fibers need to be repaired. The body uses amino acids to stimulate the regeneration of the muscles. Rice protein has a high percentage of amino acids and provides the substances that the organism needs to generate the muscle fiber and compensate for the loss.
People who practice sports or who perform intense physical exercise need more protein to regenerate the muscles. It is the perfect supplement to enhance the sport performance, providing high quantities of quality protein which stimulates the growth of the muscles.
A high level of amino acids contributes to gaining muscle mass and reducing body fat. Rice protein is a wonderful alternative to support the sport performance of those athletes who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet, or those who suffer from food allergies.
Rice protein helps with weight loss and slimming diets
It is an excellent source of high quality amino acids and it is very useful for weight loss. It is a satiating food, low in calories and with many important nutrients. It is ideal for those who want to lose weight and fitness competitors who are in the cutting phase.
It has also been proven that an increased consumption of proteins regulates the levels of sugar in the blood, which inhibits the anxiety to eat and food cravings.
Rice protein powder is particularly popular among vegetarians and vegans who want to lose weight, as well as among people who suffer from some sort of food intolerance or allergy to certain ingredients. We tell you How Proteins can Help you Lose Weight.
Who can benefit from rice protein?
- Those who want to lose weight
- Athletes that need to consume a high quantity of amino acids
- People with food allergies or intolerance to certain foods
Does it have any side effects?
Few side effects have been reported. It is completely safe as long as we consume the right amount.
One of the few side effects of a high consumption of protein is acidosis, which can potentially lead to a calcium deficiency and an overload of the kidneys and liver.
However, this could only happen if we exceeded 3 grams of protein per kilo of body weight. This is why the recommended dose of rice protein should always be below that level.
The interactions and combinations of rice protein
It can be combined with hemp or pea protein, which will improve the aminogram that is provided to the organism.
Moreover, pea protein has a very smooth texture which improves the taste of the rice protein. It is commonly used to make shakes, yogurt, and granola.
The dose may vary depending on the brand. Therefore, it is very important to read the product’s instructions, and use the recommended amount in each case.
The recommended intake of rice protein powder for athletes moves between 1.2 grams to 2 grams per kilo of body weight. For vegans, the daily recommended dose is from 0.8 to 1 gram of protein per kilo of body weight.
Why should you take rice protein?
It is a source of high quality amino acids and it provides an excellent aminogram. Therefore it is beneficial for everyone and particularly for:
- Meeting your daily amino acid requirements.
- Being very satiating and helping with weight loss.
- Stimulating the growth and regeneration of muscle mass.
- Being ideal for those who suffer from allergies to certain foods or who have a lactose, egg, soy, or gluten intolerance.
- Being a good choice for those who want to eat less foods of animal origin.
- Barely having carbohydrates and no fat nor cholesterol.
- Having a very creamy texture.
- Being ideal to cook pastry recipes.