XANTHAN GUM POWDER
Nutritional Facts XANTHAN GUM POWDER 150g
|per servingper 100g|
|Information XANTHAN GUM POWDER 150g|
|Serving size: 3/4 scoop (2g)|
|Servings per container: 75|
|Amount per serving|
|of which saturated||0g|
|of which sugars||0g|
|Ingredients: Xanthan gum powder.|
How to take XANTHAN GUM POWDER 150g:Add 3/4 of a teaspoon (2g) to your products to improve their viscosity.
- Xanthan gum powder
- Food thickener
- Fiber Source
- Ideal to give consistency to sauces, creams, desserts, etc
- Perfect to give thickness to fruit juices
- Helps to prevent ice crystals in ice creams
- Satiating affect
- Product of vegetable origin
Table of contents
Xanthan gum is a polysaccharide with a high molecular weight that is produced from the fermentation of the bacteria Xanthomonas Campestris in carbohydrates (like corn). It is mainly used as a food thickener and it appears as E-415 in the list of ingredients.
Physically, xanthan gum is a powder with a white/cream color. Nutritionally speaking, it provides only 3 calories per gram, it does not provide fat nor protein, it is a pure carbohydrate in the form of a soluble and indigestible fiber, that absorbs water when passing through the digestive system. For this reason many people use xanthan gum to increase the fiber intake in their diets. Moreover, xanthan gum has multiple uses.
The main use of this substance is to change the original consistency of a liquid, granting both viscosity and density. It can act as a thickener agent, stabilizer, emulsifier or suspending agent.
It is widely used by the food industry to give consistency to dairy products, sauces, instant products, bakery, or fruit juices. Xanthan gum has many advantages with regards to other emulsifiers, because it does not alter the flavor, smell or color of the food.
Many people consume xanthan gum to increase their fiber intake, improve the digestive transit and also reduce appetite. This is due to the fact that it is a non-digestible polysaccharide, it is a humectant, that absorbs liquids in the intestine and expands, providing a greater feeling of satiety and improving the intestinal transit.
It can be used in multiple recipes, since it is not affected by being cooked or by large amounts of salt. Moreover, it does not significantly change the pH of the food nor does it alter the temperature of the liquid, and it hardly adds any calories to the recipe:
- Approximately 3 calories per gram, keeping in mind that the amounts that are used are very small.
Another distinguishing factor with regard to the rest of the thickeners, is that it can be used cold, since it is not necessary to apply heat or boil the food for it to work.
Xanthan gum is soluble both in hot and cold water, it is hydrated very quickly once dispersed and facilitates water retention, producing very viscous solutions at low concentrations. Moreover, its solutions have a homogeneous viscosity in temperatures that range from freezing to near boiling point, with an incredible thermal stability.
- Drinks: Xanthan gum is widely used to give consistency to fruit and vegetable drinks and juices. If these drinks have pieces of fruit or pulp, the use of xanthan gum helps to maintain the suspension and give them a better appearance. Xanthan gum is often used in cocktails to increase density and cause particles or fruit to remain in stable suspension.
- Dairy products: It is very common to mix xanthan gum with guar gum, locust bean gum or both and for them to be used as stabilizers for ice cream, sorbets and chocolates. Adding it improves the creaminess of the ice cream, avoiding the amounts of fat needed to provide an equivalent texture, and thus making a less caloric, low fat, ice cream. In addition, the xanthan gum prevents ice crystals from forming, making them more creamy, and it favors the formation of micro-air bubbles which provides volume and lightness to the ice cream. It is used for the elaboration of dairy desserts such as custards because it only adds 30 calories per tablespoon, especially used in egg substitutes to simulate the yolk.
- Sauces and dressings: Many sauces and dressings incorporate xanthan gum to provide greater stability to the emulsions and give them a thicker and creamier touch. Sauces thickened with xanthan can be frozen without any problems since they will not lose their qualities once they are defrosted.
- Bakery products: In the baking industry, xanthan gum is a widely used ingredient especially for its ability to increase water retention during baking and prolong the shelf life of the finished bakery products and the refrigerated doughs. In many breads, xanthan gum is used as an egg substitute, in particular it can reduce the egg white content without affecting the appearance or taste of the product.
- Syrups, toppings, condiments: The great qualities of xanthan gum-based solutions, make it possible for it to be used in syrups, toppings and condiments. Butter creams and chocolate toppings that are enriched with xanthan gum have an excellent consistency and flowing properties and thanks to their high viscosity at rest, they provide a dense and appetizing appearance.
If you add Xanthan Gum to your recipes, you may have to reduce the amounts of dry ingredients or increase a bit the quantities of liquid ingredients.
Apart from its gastronomic uses, xanthan gum is used in medicine to lower blood sugar and cholesterol levels in people with diabetes, it is an ingredient in some sustained release tablets. It is used as a substitute for saliva in people with dry mouth (Sjogren's syndrome). And it is also used as a laxative agent because it ferments and swells up in the intestine, which helps to stimulate the digestive tract to enhance the excretion of feces.
Using xanthan gum for a long period of time has no side effects. It is always a good idea to drink water when you consume a product that has xanthan gum, in order to prevent dehydration.
- People who want a thickener for their cooking recipes (sauces, condiments, etc)
- Enhance the texture and consistency of recipes such as bread, dough, pastry, bakery products...
- As a satiating element to control appetite.
I use it to make bread and to thicken creams, desserts, cakes… anything really!
Excellent product to thicken your dishes!
Excellent thickener for shakes, sauces, sponge cakes… it gives a really nice texture
I use it for my desserts along with some egg whites and oats, it does not give any flavour to the mix, you’ve got to be careful with how much you use though