Selenium is an essential oligoelement that the body obtains through diet and water. Selenium is found in abundance in crabs, liver, fish and wheat. Selenium has diverse functions, such as helping to produce special proteins, called antioxidant enzymes, which play a fundamental role in the prevention of cellular damage.
Benefits of selenium:
- Powerful antioxidant: helps to prevent ageing, as it helps to eliminate free radicals.
- Protects against cardiovascular diseases.
- Stimulates the immune system.
- Helps to prevent cancer.
- Improves the elasticity of tissues and protects them.
- Favours the good working order of the liver.
- Helps to improve condition of the skin and mucous membranes.
- Helps with exercise and muscle function.
- Favours the elimination of urea and uric acid.
- Prevents cataract problems.
- It is important in male fertility as it intervenes in the formation of spermatozoids.