Taurine is an essential amino acid for some mammals like cats, but humans synthesize it without any issue, which is why a deficit of this element is quite rare. Some of the benefits of taurine lie on its high antioxidant power which reduces the number of free radicals, it also participates in the production of the bile, regulates the heartbeat, and it even participates in the nerve regulation, which is why it is associated with antiepileptic properties.
Table of contents
Taurine is a non-protein amino acid. It is found in the skeletal muscle, the heart, the brain, and the retina.
It is synthesized in our organism through the methionine and cysteine amino acids, which use vitamin B6 as a cofactor in the enzymatic reaction that takes place. The taurine that we consume thoughout the day through the food we eat is not enough to meet the requirements of this essential amino acid. To do this, it is advisable to take it through supplementation, either in powder or capsules.
Taurine has multiple biological and metabolic functions: it is an antioxidant, it conjugates the bile acids, detoxifies some xenobiotics, and regulates the levels of intracellular calcium. It also plays a role in the osmoregulation, the neuromodulation, and the stabilization of the membranes.
To sum up, the most remarkable properties of taurine are:
- It performs an antioxidant action which reduces the increase of oxidative stress after physical exercise
- It improves the sport performance
- It prevents cardiovascular diseases along with magnesium
- It works as a neuromediator and neuromodulator and it is responsible for the osmoregulation
- It regulates the metabolism of glucose
- It has an anti-inflammatory effect
Taurine is a fundamental element for many physiological processes, some of them will be enhanced due to the exogenous supply which will improve the resistance physical performance.
The consumption of taurine as a supplement results in an increase of the levels of strength and a reduction of muscle soreness, as well as lactate dehydrogenase, the activity of creatine kinase, and oxidative damage. The taurine supplements can improve the performance and reduce the oxidative stress in sports.
A normal level of taurine is important for the proper functioning of the skeletal muscle. Its task in the skeletal muscle consists on contributing to the regulation of the cell volume and on helping with the antioxidant defense to stress responses.
Taurine affects the contraction of the skeletal muscle by reducing the oxidative stress, by reducing the production of superoxide free radicals.
- Those who want to enrich their diet with this amino acid
- Those who want to follow a healthy lifestyle
1. Szymanski K, Winiarska K. [Taurine and its potential therapeutic application]. Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online). 2008 Feb 25;62:75-86
2. Bidri M, Choay P. Taurine: a particular aminoacid with multiple functions. Ann Pharm Fr. 2003 Nov;61(6):385-91.
3. Waldron M, Patterson SD, Tallent J3, Jeffries O. The Effects of an Oral Taurine Dose and Supplementation Period on Endurance Exercise Performance in Humans: A Meta-Analysis. Sports Med. 2018 May;48(5):1247-1253. doi: 10.1007/s40279-018-0896-2.
4. da Silva LA, Tromm CB, Bom KF, Mariano I, Pozzi B, da Rosa GL, Tuon T, da Luz G, Vuolo F, Petronilho F, Cassiano W, De Souza CT, Pinho RA. Effects of taurine supplementation following eccentric exercise in young adults. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2014 Jan;39(1):101-4. doi: 10.1139/apnm-2012-0229.
5. Spriet LL , Whitfield J. Taurine and skeletal muscle function. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2015 Jan;18(1):96-101. doi: 10.1097/MCO.0000000000000135.
6. Silva LA, Silveira PC , Ronsani MM , Souza PS , Scheffer D , Vieira LC , Benetti M , De Souza CT , Pinho RA . Taurine supplementation decreases oxidative stress in skeletal muscle after eccentric exercise. Cell Biochem Funct. 2011 Jan-Feb;29(1):43-9. doi: 10.1002/cbf.1716.
Taurine powder. It provides 1g of Taurine per serving. RAW product without additives.GF LF V VG RAW DF S EF NP AC NF GMOIn stock. Immediate delivery.
500mg of Taurine per vegetable capsule. Taurine free form.GF LF V VG DF S EF NP AC FF NF GMOIn stock. Immediate delivery.
1500mg of Taurine in free form by capsule. Contributes to performance. Intra-cellular hydric regulation.In stock. Immediate delivery.
Provides the organism with an optimal dose of the amino acid Taurine.In stock. Immediate delivery.
100% Taurine in powder format.V VGIn stock. Immediate delivery.
Taurine is a neurotransmitter linked to glucose.In stock. Immediate delivery.
Pre-workout and intra-workout ampoules of 60ml. It provides caffeine, taurine and more.In stock. Immediate delivery.
100% taurine. It provides 1000mg of taurine per capsule.In stock. Immediate delivery.
Pre-workout with creatine and 300mg of caffeine per serving.In stock. Immediate delivery.
Pre-workout made from amino acids. Nitric oxide without creatine.CFIn stock. Immediate delivery.
In stock. Immediate delivery.
In stock. Immediate delivery.
Good supplement for demanding athletes - Steve, 18/04/2018I usually train around 3 hours daily and I use this supplement along vitamin c to avoid as much oxidative damage as possible. I also like this format because you can mix it with whatever you want.